Wednesday, August 3, 2016

Random Thoughts From An Insane Person

I gots my mind on my money and my money on my mind.

I am fearing the start of the Summer Olympics. Why am I fearing it? Because I really hate it when perpetually negative people are proven right. People from all over the world have been warning the IOC for months that Rio is a dangerous place for a lot of reasons. Athletes are reporting that they are getting robbed in the Olympic Village, and the village isn't even done yet. This could get ugly before it is over, and it could get really ugly.

By the way, why is the Olympic Village never done in time? The Russians never finished their Olympic Village when they hosted the last Winter Olympics, and the athletes had a field day on social media about it. I wonder how the NBA guys, who are used to only the best accommodations, are reacting to the less than stellar conditions they are forced to live in out there in Rio.

Rio de Janeiro has been a jewel of a city for decades. But government corruption and the general decay of society has taken their toll and now Rio is just not the place to be. A lot of professional golfers pulled out of the Olympics because they said they feared the Zika virus. I find it difficult to believe that athletes in their 20s fear a virus. What they fear is the possibility of getting shot or kidnapped while they walk from the unfinished Olympic Village to the golf course. I don't blame them. It is a blow to golf because golf just got put back on the list of medal competitions in the Olympics, but it is a decision that no one can fault these guys for making.

So the more Donald Trump says, the more popular Hillary Clinton becomes. I am not getting in the middle of this political mess, but the Trump camp does sound like a broken record. Emails, emails, emails, emails, emails. I think that people are turning away from Trump simply because there has been nothing new from his camp for weeks, and anything that is new is usually insulting to someone.

Has anyone seen a political ad or meme anywhere that says anything along the lines of "I'm voting for this candidate because of their policies on this important subject"? Anyone? Because if you have, please post it to the Niagara's Watercooler Facebook page. So far, this campaign has been a race to the bottom with mud filling the room. Not one issue has been discussed. Not one. But yet, the public is eating it up.

Shin Gojira (also known as Godzilla Resurgence) is a big hit in Japan. That may sound like a "duh" statement, but the last couple of Toho Godzilla movies to be released in Japan made loud thud noises. People seem to really like this one, and it will have a U.S. release into theaters later this year. I may even have to go to a hardtop theater to see this, which is how bad I want to see it.

Finally, this week is the long-awaited debut of the movie The Suicide Squad. It has Jared Leto's version of the Joker in it, and the more I see of it, the more interested I am to see how this plays out. I am not a big fan of the new Joker look, but I do think there is some potential there with Ben Affleck's Batman. You can find out what I thought about the movie Monday morning on Niagara's Watercooler. I hope you check it out.

That's it for this week. Nothing specific, just random mumblings. Have a great week. Talk to everyone later.

George N Root III wrote this and he isn't really sure why. Follow him on Twitter @georgenroot3, or send him a message at georgenroot3@gmail.com.